No matter what stage in life, it seems like we’re always preparing for something. In high school we start preparing for college; fill out applications, apply for scholarships, save money, get supplies for your dorm… College years prepare us for a career as we study long hours, sit in endless classes and even get some hands-on experience. A bit later one may be preparing for a wedding: ordering flowers, cake, food, DJ, dress… Hours of shopping and planning so everything will be “just perfect” on that special day. Sometimes planned, sometimes not, when expecting a baby there’s so much to prepare for; getting all the ‘stuff’ you need – car seat, crib, high chair, diaper bag, DIAPERS, toys, blankets, learning all you can about those lil ones – reading blogs, magazines, books, watching TLC :), what to know about the hospital, labor, birth, life after birth… So much to prepare for.
- He has prepared a city for us – Heb. 11:16
- He has prepared a house for us with a special room made just for YOU – John 14:2-3
- He has prepared a kingdom for us – Matt. 25:34
God has done all this preparation, but have we realized that there’s some things He wants us to prepare for as well?
- He wants us to prepare for spiritual battles, equipped with the Word, faith, prayer – Eph. 6
- He wants us to be prepared for good works, be open/ready for opportunities He brings along, staying pure, set-apart for His purpose – Eph. 2:10, 2 Tim. 2:21
- He wants us to prepare to be His bride, like the 5 virgins in Matt. 25, ready for His return or call home
How can we be ready for Christ?
- Keep Him as the focus of your daily life. I know distractions come along but when we continually come back to Him as a focal point, it keeps things in perspective and gives Him 1st place in our minds/hearts. Isa. 26:3
- Seek Him continually. One of my favorite verses in the Holman Christian Standard Version is Matt. 7:7. I love this verse in other versions where it states, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened…” But, I love how it’s worded in the HCSB, “Keep asking and it will be given to you. Keep searching and you will find. Keep knocking and the door will be opened to you.” Keep on keeping on! Continual asking, searching, knocking will keep on preparing you for Christ.
- Be filled with the Spirit. Eph. 5:18, Rom 8:4 Ask God for His Spirit to lead you, fill you and prepare you. There’s no one more equipped to prepare us than the One who created us. Let Him do His work in you.
No one knows the day/hour of His return or when He’ll call us home, but we can live prepared for what He’s called us to here on earth and prepare to be His bride for eternity.