It’s softball season and you’re on a losing streak. Time to take a step back, work on making throws, following through on your swing and teamwork/communication. Fall football season is now upon us (GO BLUE!!). When the results aren’t what they could be, it’s time to run some passing drills, work on defense and maybe time some time in the gym to build muscle strength. Back to the basics. Focus on the foundation. Time-OUT!
Just like on the ball field, sometimes we have to get back to the basics at home, in our faith and with our relationship with God. Here at the Grubbie abode, we have seasons where we need to re-focus – back on loving God and loving each other. Kevin and I have to make an effort to have ‘our time’ and we work at spending more time with the kiddos… not just in quantity, but quality. It’s hard to work on love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness and self-control (Gal. 5:22-23) when life and busy-ness make things ‘out of control.’ Discipline takes time (discipline = teaching), pouring into your children (training them up in the way they should go – Prov. 22:6) takes time and growing biblical character takes time. It’s hard to build the ‘fruit of the Spirit’ when it’s just go-go-go all the time. Sometimes you just have to stop, pray, take time to discuss things, enjoy each other, experience ‘teachable moments’ and connect.
The same is true for us in our faith. Maybe you’re new to the whole “God-thing”. Maybe you’ve been a believer for a LONG TIME. No matter where you’re at in life, it’s always good to get back to the basics. What about you? Are you facing a trial or a schedule that seems out of control? Do you find God seemingly distant? (If you do, you’re not alone. Psalm 10:1) Are you struggling with your life’s purpose? Do you feel like nobody cares? Allow me to share some of the ‘basics’ of God to encourage you.
- *1st and foremost, know this: HE LOVES YOU!!! Everything about God boils down to love. It’s easy to question your circumstances, but in light of His love, we cannot question His love for us. Check out these verses:
- *Jeremiah 31:3 I have loved you with an everlasting love…
- *Romans 5:8 But, God proves His own love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- *1 John 4:16 And we have come to know and believe the love that God has for us. God is love…
- *John 3:16 For God loved the world in this way, He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life.
- *1 John 4:19 We love because He first loved us.
- *You are the apple of His eye Psa. 17:8
- *He delights in you!! Psa. 18:19
- *He cares for you!! 1 Peter 5:7
- *Secondly, after understand His love, take time to talk to Him. Pray. Prayer is simply talking with a Friend. Talk to Him in the morning, in you car as you’re driving to work, while you’re washing dishes, before you close you eyes at night. He is the BEST venting/sounding board!! He’s a good listener. He truly CARES. You don’t have to dress-up your words – be yourself. He created you!! He knows you. Talk to Him and then be still… He whispers back :).
- *Finally, get to know Him. Phil. 3:10 says to make it your “goal to know Him.” Open your Bible. Read through the gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John). Attend a church. Go to a Bible Study. Soak Him up like a sponge!! He’s there waiting. Deut. 4:29 says “you will search for the LORD your God, and you will find Him, when you seek Him with allyour heart and with all your soul.”
There ya’ have it… the basics. Make time to talk with Him, get to know Him and please, please, please know He loves you!! Enjoy this tune by David Crowder – ’bout sums it up!