The people, the crowds, the FOLLOWERS of Jesus were ALL about praising Him, shouting GLORY, calling Him BLESSED. They were all about Jesus.
Then came Monday. And Tuesday. And by Friday, we have quite a different story. The same crowd that was shouting GLORY and PRAISES to JESUS, the Son of God! were later that week shouting, “Crucify Him!”
Let’s go back to Sunday. Jesus said, “If they (the people) were to keep silent, the STONES would cry out!”
Who are “they?”
Of course, back in Bible times, they were the people following Jesus. Shouting His praises.
Who are “they” now?
We are. Followers of Jesus.
- We who sing praises to Jesus on Sunday and let the stones take over on when we’re too busy on Monday.
- We who sing praises to Jesus when everything is going all right, but let the stones
take over when it’s not.
- We who sing praises to Jesus when living right, but let the stones take over when we’re not.
- We who sing praises to Jesus with other followers, but let the stones take over when surrounded by people who do not know or follow Jesus.
I don’t know about you, but I do NOT want some inanimate object taking my place of PRAISING JESUS because I’m keeping silent. Because I’m too busy. Because everything is not awesome. Because of my sin. Because I’m the only Christ Follower in a group or situation.
I have been silent for each of those reasons at times in my life… but by His grace, today (and tomorrow, and the next day) can be different.
‘As He was going along, they were spreading their robes on the road. Now He came near the path down the Mount of Olives, and the whole crowd of the disciples began to praise God joyfully with a loud voice for all the miracles they had seen: The King who comes in the name of the Lord is the blessed One. Peace in heaven and glory in the highest heaven! Some of the Pharisees from the crowd told Him, “Teacher, rebuke Your disciples.” He answered, “I tell you, if they were to keep silent, the stones would cry out!”’
Instead of crying stones, maybe we can:
- Seek FIRST the kingdom of God and His righteousness – Matt. 6:33
- Trust God as our STRENGTH, ROCK, DELIVERER, REFUGE in trying times – Psalm 18
- THANK Jesus for His GRACE and RESCUE when we fall to sin – Romans 7:25
- Be the LIGHT God has called us and entrusted us to be – Matt. 5:14-16
Lord, help us not to lose sight of Your goodness; that You deserve all HONOR and PRAISE and GLORY! Today, and every day! HOSANNA! Amen.